Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My first PR Task

My foundation is developing a project that focuses on improving education in public schools. They target the teachers, teaching them how to read better to there class and how to properly use new technology (such as computers). SO, My boss has family in a city called Villeta which is about 2 hours away from Bogota. There was a fair there called la feria de panela “the Panela fair” There is a fair for just about everything in Colombia. Panela is a sweet that is harvested from sugar cane which is very healthy actually..but that’s a whole nother story. The idea was to go to villeta and propose the project to the mayor and a few businessmen to see if we could get funds to get it going. Sooo turns out My boss got sick and couldn’t go. So I was to go with her brother (Fernando) and represent the foundation on my own. YIKES! Fernando is my age and recently started a panela business which made it big. SO, he was going to Villeta to promote his company while I was to go and do some PR and make contacts for the foundation. I was to talk to the mayor and several other business men that Fernandeo all new and propose them the project about education.
So I was waiting for Fernando at my house in Chia. He comes by on a crotch rocket. He tosses me a helmet and says in Spanish “hurry up and get your stuff we have to be in Villeta in 90 minutes I need you to help me pick out runway models to accompany us during the fair to promote my company” Sweeet I said to my self trying not to act too excited. I hoped on the crotch rocket and we booked it to Villeta. The scenery was breath taking going up and down mountains through valleys at like 150 mph… In villeta Fernando’s grandparents live right next door to a club/resort with a pool tennis court, A BAR, restaurant, etc. So we stayed there. Later on I meet the mayor and some busniness folk during the day, make some contacts, and chat about the foundation. At night we partied with the models that helped promote Fernandos company… the first night I was a little reserved, the second night, Me and Fernando Gooot Shit canned. In south America the have a drink called aguardiente its really smooth and it sneaks up on you fast. One thing leads to another and we downed at least three boxes of aguardiente. On our way back home we got a in a little drunken argument which was harmless at first. Then it escalated and we got in a little scuffle (nothing serious) to my misfortune the police arrived do to a little noise complaint (they didn’t see the fight nor did they know about it.) I had nooo ID on me just a wallet and money. I told the police I was a foreigner and had no ID. They called me gringo and told me to shut up and sit down. Then they stole my wallet and demanded I give them every thing in my pockets or I would go to jail!!!!! I thought to my self and chuckled under my breath AIESEC Minneapolis was right, I am the most likely to be thrown in jail abroad. I was so drunk I was excited this was happening so I could tell it to other people. He ended up taking my crappy cell phone and 50000 pesos!!! Which is worth $25 hahaha. The police brought me and Fernando back to his family and woke them up at 5 am in the morning…..oooh boy was that a shit show. Needless to say the weekend was a semi success, I got to shmooze with the mayor and made some business contacts, but let the liquor get the best of me again…

No comments:

Post a Comment